Referral Topics
Sunday July 05, 2020
  • Site last updated at 11:44pm on Saturday 27th June 2020.

Builders' material on roadway/pavement 

The Strict position regarding materials on the roadway is that a licence should first be obtained, at a cost, and once the work has been completed and the debris removed, the builder should then notify the Council, who will come and inspect the scene.

If all is in order and no damage has taken place the builder's deposit (payable at the time of applying for the licence) will be returned to him

In fact a practical approach is normally followed, and if a licence is not applied for and the materials are disposed of quickly, then all is well.

If therefore, a situation gives rise to complaint the sensible course would appear to be to raise the matter with the householder -  who is the responsible person so far as the council is concerned - and if there is no remedy within a reasonable time the matter should be raised with the Street Enforcement Officer

As regards materials deposited on the pavement, space must be left for pedestrians. if this is not the case, and representations to the workmen or the householder are ignored, then reference to the street enforcement officer would be the next step. However, obviously a reasonable attitude is essential.


Abandoned Vehicles

Where abandoned vehicles are concerned, the council have a section dealing with this. Any referral must be on the basis that the vehicle is definitely abandoned and also is on the public roadway. Telephone:  0208 726 7100 or 0208 407 6839*.

*This number can also be used for reporting untaxed vehicles. This can also be done direct to the DVLA on 0800 325202. 

Fly tipping can also be reported to the council.

For more information regarding fly-tipping in our area, please refer to this article.


Subscribe to our EBlast

Join our Facebook Group