If you’ve ever come across a brightly decorated stone whilst out-and-about, you’ll be forgiven for greeting it with some surprise! You probably stumbled across an intentionally created and placed piece of art by local residents, many of them children.
“Coulsdon Rocks” aims to bring a little fun and magic to the local area. If you happen across one of the rocks, please take a photo of it and then post the image to the Coulsdon Rocks Facebook page indicating where it was found. You are welcome to then either keep the rock safe or hide it again for someone else to find.
Residents are also more than welcome to add their own rocks to Coulsdon. They can be as colourful and imaginative as you like, but there are a few simple rules to remember:
- Be mindful where you hide your rocks. Always respect businesses and private property.
- Buy your rocks, don’t take from the beach.
- Please bear in mind that this will involve children so please ensure that all designs are suitable for all ages.
- Decorate your rock with pens, crayons, paints or nail varnish, and don’t forget to make it weatherproof. Clear varnish or nail polish work best.
- Write “Please post my pic on the Coulsdon Rocks Facebook page” on the back of your rock.
- If you want to, you can initial your rock to make it easier to spot on the Facebook page once it’s been found.
For those of you who fancy venturing further afield, there is a bigger and more active South Croydon Rocks Facebook group.