- Never let anyone into your home unless you are sure of their credentials.
- Always ask for business cards or business address and telephone number (not mobile).
- If they say there is an urgent problem with your roof, drive, tree’s and boundary fences always get a reliable third party to check the problem before you part with any money.
- Only agree to pay for the work after completion.
- Be very wary of anyone offering to provide a product or services for cash only.
- Avoid anyone who says they are only in the area for a short while and can do a special deal.
- Croydon Trading Standards operate a ‘Check a Trade’ an approved trader scheme.
- For details of vetted local traders call 0845 408 4866 or visit www.checkatrade.com
The Guidelines above have been formulated from advice by Sergeant Paul Potter of the Kenley Safer Neighbourhoods Team.
The Police now have a website where you can see the crime figures in your area by entering a post code, town, village or street.